Essa Township, lies directly southwest ofThe City of Barrieand is roughly 100 kilometers north of The City of Toronto. Essa Township's borders are County Road 90 to the north, County Road 27 to the east, Highway 89 to the south and County Road 10 to the west.
The first township office was built on Simcoe County Road 21, in Baxter. Essa Township is 3,361 square kilometres and covers a total of 24 municipalities.
Prior to 1955, rainwater, collected in cisterns, was the main source of water for many homes in the Township. Wells with handpumps were also used to collect water for drinking and cooking.
In 1960, Ontario Hydro (Hydro One) constructed the Extra High Voltage (EHV) Transmission Power Line which runs through the Township. The Hydro Station in Essa, supplies the Southern Georgian Bay region.
The Nottawasaga River, under the authority of the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority, winds it's way through the entire township. In the early days, it's tributaries and the Nicolston dam were a large source of waterpower.
Nicolston, Nottawasaga River
Simcoe County Forests
Rural Essa Real Estate
Essa Township is a mix of Rural and Urban areas. Essa Township consists of the three major communities of Angus, Baxter and Thornton as well as the smaller hamlets of Colwell, Egbert, Ivy and Utopia. Angus is the largest community in Essa Township, and the main access to the neighbouring Canadian Forces Base Borden.
The detached homes of Rural Essa are mostly situated on lots set off by themselves. A few are clustered on estate lots, with the remainder found on farms with larger acreages.