In 1847, William Fletcher from Yorkshire, England, and his eldest son John found a site for a mill at Lot 1, Concession 1, and named the location after his native town in Yorkshire, England, Alliston. They erected the first building in late November of 1847. This is where the Nicolston Grist Mill currently stands. In 1900 the mill that they built, burned down, and was replaced by the current one in 1907. In 1853, Fletcher hired a Mr. Grant, who eventually became the Father of the first child born in the town, Margaret Grant, born April 21, 1854. Margaret grew up and married William Banting. Together they had a son who became one of the most famous Canadian Doctors, Sir Frederick Banting.
To find out more on what contributions Banting has made, click HERE to be connected to the Bantingwebsite. The Banting family farmhouse, is located on the Banting Homestead Heritage Park. The site was restored and adapted in September 2012.
The Nicolston Dam, also includes a section for a Campground & RV Park. For more information about the park in Alliston, click HERE.
Alliston downtown, was established in 1857. The downtown core, now refers to its location as 'RURBAN.' It promotes the meeting of Rural and Urban living combined. In fact, the Downtown Business Association of Alliston, now dedicates a whole website to the 'RURBAN' living. You can visit the website by clicking HERE.